How Rat Poison Is Dangerous To Cats And Dogs

The cold weather months means that all kinds of pests and problems can happen. One of the more common pests during this time is the presence of rats and mice. During the colder temperatures, rats and mice want to get into a warmer place and the warmest place that they sense is inside a person’s home. Most people start during the fall to bait their homes with rat and mice poison. The thing is that one needs to be careful because rat and mice poison is very dangerous for pets such as cats and dogs. The following is a look at how exactly dangerous that rat and mice poison can pose dangerous consequences for cats and dogs.

It is the ingredients and the things that are in rat and mice poison that pose a threat to the health of pets. In most cases the pet will get very sick and then obviously there are the cases where the cat or dog will suffer a fatal result. Experts agree that there are several things inside of rat and mice poison that pose danger to cats and dogs.

Anticoagulant rodenticide is the most common known poisonous ingredient that is found in mice poison. Mice are small creatures so this poison will not take long to kill them. If a dog were to ingest common mice poison, it would affect blod clotting. While they may not die immediately, they will get very sick and weak and without proper treatment there will be a fatal ending. The Environmental Protection Agency has issued warnings and regulations against these types of poisons but still companies are coming out with more and more different ingredients that can have the same effect if a cat or dog were to ingest it.

Anticoagulant rodenticide is a broad name for a series of different mice and rat poisons. It just describes the effect that will happen to the pet if they were to eat it. Bromethalin is a common ingredient in most mice and rat poisons. It is a typical ACR poison but the thing with bromethalin is that there is no antedote to counteract the poison. Vitamin K is the most widely known antedote used by veternarians when a cat or dog comes to the vet having ingested poison. Bromethalin causes the brain to swell and the signs that a cat or dog has been sickened or poisoned are lethargy, vomiting, unbalanced walking, and deathly seizures.

Vitamin D-3 or cholecalciferol is another common ingredient in rat and mice poison. When it is ingested, it will cause kidney failure in the pet. This is another ingredient that has no antedote. The most common sign of this type of poison sickness is weight loss and again it will result in death for the animal.

Phosphides are a less common ingredient in mice and rat poison and are engineered in killing bigger rodents such as moles. Still, cats and dogs can come in contact with it and if they happen to ingest it it would mean very bad things for the pet. When a cat or dog ingests phosphides, a toxic gas would start to form in the stomach. This toxic gas is known as phosphine gas. When a cat or dog has come in contact with this material they will become bloated and will lose their appetite. Phosphine gas is poisonous to humans so you know that it is not good for pets.

Rat and mice poisons usually come in nice packages and some have a sweet type smell. When a cat or dog smells it, they do not know the difference if it is good or bad for them. Their natural sense is to eat it. The most important thing is to make sure all crawlspaces are secured so the cat or dog will not go under the home. The most important thing is that at the first sense or sight of any suspected poisoning in a cat or dog, the first thing to do is go directly to the veternarian.

https://www.poison.org/

Leave a Reply